Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Taco Soup


I looked up recipes for this soup online and tweaked it based on what I had on hand. I had intended to make this in the crock pot but ended up using my Dutch Oven instead. It's my second favorite piece of cookware and I have not used it in a while. I really could use a spare too (hint hint, Matt, our Anniversary is coming up). I am including the instructions on making it in the crock pot and on the stove top. Either will do. This recipe makes 16 one cup servings at 4 points each.

1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2(15 ounce) cans kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup
2 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 diced green pepper
1/2 cup salsa for added flavor
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix or 2 Tablespoons home made
seasoning (or more if you like it really spicy)
I like to make my own:
1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano,
1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon sea salt,
1 teaspoon black pepper

Crock Pot Instructions:

Brown Ground beef in skillet, drain and place in crock pot that has already been sprayed with cooking spray. Mix all other ingredients in with meat in cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.

Stove Top instructions:

Spray dutch oven or stock pot with cooking spray. Brown ground beef in pot using spoon to break up, add diced onions and green peppers. Add taco seasoning and salsa. Stir. Next add cans of beans, tomatoes, and corn. Add tomato soup and water using water to get all of the soup out of the can. Stir.Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Simmer 30 minutes or longer. I started mine at 3pm and will simmer on the stove until dinner time around 6pm. I will just stir every time I walk past the stove. The longer it sits the move flavorful it will be!!

Ladle into bowls and serve with tortilla chips on top, fish shaped crackers, saltines, shredded cheese, sour cream, or what ever you want. Feel free to change this soup up. Soups are one of those things that you can tweak and still have it tasting yummy!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment